G'day

Give yourself an introduction here and get to know the other members.

G'day

Postby Flightoffire » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:53 am

Hi folks. I thought I would pop in for a visit.

On the alchemy front, I have been just as busy since the closure of the old BOA forum.

As some of you may recall, a few of us were moving away from high heat and hands on with our Work. Over the past year or so I have found that this is the correct path. Meaning, no more kilns, mortar & pestles, etc. It is mostly hands off.

I'm sorry I have not yet had time to read through your entire forum yet (most of it though), so you may already be aware of the following.

Here are a couple of the more interesting quotes I found that support a 1mvp approach (one matter, one vessel, one process) with my emphasis added:

Sham philosophers have misunderstood the occult and secret philosophic vessel, and worse is that which is said by Aristoteles the Alchemist (not the famous Greek Academic Philosopher), giving it out that the matter is to be decocted in a triple vessel. Worst of all is that which is said by another, namely, that the matter in its first separation and first degree requires a metallic vessel; in its second degree of coagulation and dealbation of its earth a glass vessel; and in the third degree, for fixation, an earthen vessel. Nevertheless, hereby the philosophers understand one vessel alone in all the operations up to the perfection of the red stone.

Source: The Aurora Of The Philosophers. By Theophrastus Paracelsus. Chapter XVIII, Concerning Instruments and the Philosophical Vessel.

This water, though one, is not simple, but compounded of two things: the vessel and the fire of the Sages, and the bond which holds the two together. So when we speak of our vessel, and our fire, we mean by both expressions, our water; nor is our furnace anything diverse or distinct from our water. There is then one vessel, one furnace, one fire, and all these make up one water. The fire digests, the vessel whitens and penetrates, the furnace is the bond which comprises and encloses all, and all these three are our Mercury. There are many kinds of fire (and of water) in our Magistery, but all these only represent different aspects of our Mercury.

Source: The Fount of Chemical Truth, Eirenaeus Philalethes.

There is but one vessel, one method, and one consummation.

Source: The Glory The World, Or, Table Of Paradise.

And in another place, Know you that in one thing, to wit, the stone, by one way, to wit, decoction, and in one vessel the whole mastery is performed.

Source: The Mirror of Alchemy, Chapter IIII; Roger Bacon.

And finishing with two of my favourites:
From the one substance is evolved, first the White, and then the Red Tincture; there is one vessel, one goal, and one method. It is true that in the books of the Sages the impression is conveyed as if there were many substances and many methods: but they only mean different aspects or stages of the same thing. [read this next bit carefully a couple of times] Solution, Sublimation, Distillation, Coagulation, Calcination, etc., are misleading terms; the distinctions are logical, or verbal, rather than real. Pythagoras tells us that Coction, Calefaction, Dealbation, Attrition, Affusion, and Tinging are only different stages of the same operation in the fire. There are many names, but one regimen.

Source: The New Pearl of Great Price.

Then, again, thou sayest that the Stone is prepared of one thing, of one substance, in one vessel, the four (elements) composing one essence in which is one agent which begins and completes the work; man, thou sayest, need do nothing but add a little heat, and leave the rest to thy wisdom. For all that is needed is already contained in the substance, in perfection, beginning, middle, and end, as the whole man, the whole animal, the whole flower is contained each in its proper seed.

Source: The Remonstration of Nature, made to the erring alchemists, and complaining of the sophists and other false teachers. Set forth by John A. Mehung.

Two things I draw your attention to from the above.
    1. Fire. This has two meanings. Gentle external fire and inner (alchemical/chemical) fire. Gentle external fire is obvious, low heat like body temperature or that of a "brooding hen". Inner fire is chemical/alchemical, and
    2. Hands off. all these laborious manual operations you have all been doing like calcining and grinding your 'salts' into smithereens in your humble little alchemy labs are all metaphors for Nature's work, not Man's work.

So, for me (for well over a year now) it is no more kilns, mortars & pestles or other interfering.

Kudos and high-five to Author though for writing the Book of Aquarius , setting up the BOA forum and getting many of us started. Author did us a great service in cutting through a lot of the fluff and making alchemy more accessible to modern people. However, I have found through a lot of reading and many experiments, in collaboration with a few other researchers that the BOA of method is inaccurate; it is too much the work of man, not the work of nature. I would suggest people consider leaving behind the hands on hard work of the old BOA process and meditate on the above quotes (there are more than these) and see if you can find a simpler way.

My intuition keeps telling me, "what would nature do?", "how would this happen in the natural environment?"; "If you stood in the bush for 100 years watching gold form (or any other element for that matter), where would you see any flasks, kilns, etc?".

Of course we need to do something otherwise we would not have an alchemy experiment would we. But what I am suggesting here is 'less is more'.

Anyway, nice to find a few BOA people. "The game will never be over because we are keeping the dream alive".

Hope this inspires you.

I'll pop in later as time permits.

Kind regards,

Flightoffire
Last edited by Flightoffire on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Be Still, and Know Who You Are.
Flightoffire

Re: G'day

Postby MShoAT » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:12 am

Welcome on board Flightoffire!

I must confess that I was a little excited when I saw your name pop up :). I remember you being pretty advanced in the work on the original BoA forum (one of the most advanced on the forum). It seems like you took a different path now. How did the BoA method work out for you?

Thanks for sharing the 1mvp theory, I'm looking forward to your contributions!

You should be able to post any files by following the following process viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67
You should be able to PM anyone, there are no restrictions set.
MShoAT
Site Admin

Postby Flightoffire » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:25 pm

MShoAT wrote:Welcome on board Flightoffire!

I must confess that I was a little excited when I saw your name pop up :). I remember you being pretty advanced in the work on the original BoA forum (one of the most advanced on the forum).

Chuckle, thanks. I appreciate your enthusiasm MShoAT but your vote of confidence for my 'advanced' status might not be so well placed. ;)

Before BOA I had no real time for alchemy. Like most people it was a casual interest; it was up there with Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny; something interesting but so convoluted that I really could not be bothered. :)

I started out as new as most people in there. I just had a bit of time on my hands for a while and simply followed my intuition (Higher Self, God, Universal Consciousness, First Source, Inner knowing, or as I often call it, 'Upstairs', etc... whatever works for people), to lead me through the maze of alchemical echoes and shadows. It served me well and I was able to figure a lot out in a short period of time. It also helped a LOT to have quite a few others as dedicated as I to collaboratively figure it out...go team!

It seems like you took a different path now. How did the BoA method work out for you?

Yes I have, and, it hasn't. From extensive reading and experimenting, I have come to learn that the BOA method is not the correct path and will not work.

By employing the high heat kilns we are scorching the earth and killing our baby.

Thanks for sharing the 1mvp theory, I'm looking forward to your contributions!

Sure thing. I will pop in from time to time. In the mean time I would encourage you to read those quotes above about low heat and using a single vessel a few times. Some people may find it a challenge to let go of BOA operations, especially if BOA was their first experience with alchemy. However I encourage them to persevere and spend time going through the Alchemical Omnibus (if I can eventually upload it). Containing over 60 alchemy texts in one PDF, there are so many good quotes in it.

You should be able to post any files by following the following process http://www.alchemyprocesses.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67
You should be able to PM anyone, there are no restrictions set.

Thanks. I will see how I go.

Thanks again for the kind welcome and chat soon. :)

Flightoffire
Last edited by Flightoffire on Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flightoffire

Postby Krisztian » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:50 am

Flightoffire wrote:As some of you may recall, a few of us were moving away from high heat and hands on with our Work. Over the past year or so I have found that this is the correct path. Meaning, no more kilns, mortar & pestles, etc. It is mostly hands off. . . .

You're correct.

The issue is that most people 'think physically'. The essence will be lost if fire raised above a human's high fever. Spiritus will die. Any other way you'll be working with "dead matter".

Flightoffire wrote:. . . But what I am suggesting here is 'less is more'.

I have suggested already the perfect vessel, one that allows for the spiritus to move, ascend and descend, constantly flowing. Only glassware that is made for circulation can be employed, at least for the long haul, first stage.

If you observe Mother Nature, you'll see the need for constant flow of spiritus. Any vessel that has sharp edges won't work. Round spheres, shapes, won't work either.
Labore et coeli favore / Nosce te ipsum / Sapientia Veterum / Aurum nostrum non est aurum vulgi
Krisztian

Postby Flightoffire » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi Kristzian. :)

Krisztian wrote:The issue is that most people 'think physically'. The essence will be lost if fire raised above a human's high fever. Spiritus will die. Any other way you'll be working with "dead matter".

I clearly recall that even Author (of the Book of Aquarius) stated right towards the end of their forum, "it is all metaphor".

Allow me to repeat a quote above:
Solution, Sublimation, Distillation, Coagulation, Calcination, etc., are misleading terms; the distinctions are logical, or verbal, rather than real. Pythagoras tells us that Coction, Calefaction, Dealbation, Attrition, Affusion, and Tinging are only different stages of the same operation in the fire. There are many names, but one regimen.

Source: The New Pearl of Great Price.

I assure you, it took a while before I realised that my hands on, grind, distil, pound, and mix approach was too labour intensive. In other words, 'i needed some convincing'. However, the more I read the texts and found good quotes like the ones above, PLUS, my intuition gently nudging me, "what would nature do?", "how would this happen out there in the natural environment?", etc, the more I shifted away fro BOA approach.

I have suggested already the perfect vessel, one that allows for the spiritus to move, ascend and descend, constantly flowing. Only glassware that is made for circulation can be employed, at least for the long haul, first stage.

I have not yet seen your suggestion - I'll look it up - but I agree. There must be enough room for gentle circulation.

If you observe Mother Nature, you'll see the need for constant flow of spiritus. Any vessel that has sharp edges won't work. Round spheres, shapes, won't work either.

I agree that we need to 'model nature'. Think of an egg or a womb or a nest. All spherical 'vessels' for 'nurturing life'. Also the spherical planet. Moisture evaporates up then condenses, then rains down., over and over and over. In the process, organic matter (plants, animals and dirt/soil) go through a myriad of changes, all being perfected over time.

Although we are not brining forth a "living entity" like an animal from an egg, I see the same rules apply.

Here is my catch phrse for describing alchemy:

Observe Nature; Copy Nature; Accelerate Nature.

Personally I use a round bottom borosilicate glass flask, currently 500 ml but will be getting a couple of 1000 ml flasks, all with 45/50 necks. Works really great.

For now I place a home-made cardboard 'cover' a little above the flask to keep out dust and air-borne contaminants. However, I will be getting another alembic (or 2) soon but NOT for capturing distillate. My understanding now is that the alembic is simply to create a protective cover over the flask that will at the same time allow for evaporation of superfluous moisture.

That is my current understanding.

Flightofire
Flightoffire

Postby MShoAT » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:36 pm

Flightoffire wrote:
Krisztian wrote:I have suggested already the perfect vessel, one that allows for the spiritus to move, ascend and descend, constantly flowing. Only glassware that is made for circulation can be employed, at least for the long haul, first stage.

I have not yet seen your suggestion - I'll look it up - but I agree. There must be enough room for gentle circulation.

I think he is referring to :
Krisztian wrote:I say pelican glassware is our best friend. . . . Leave another hint: circulate for one full solar cycle, body heat as reference, that is, 37.5 Celsius or so.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43&p=75#p75

Krisztian wrote:(In my humble opinion, the 'urine work' should be done in pelican, circulated for many months at no more than body heat.)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=89

@Krisztian, correct me if I'm wrong please
MShoAT
Site Admin

Postby Flightoffire » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Personally I always thought a glass pelican was a bit of a novelty.

In light of my rather steep learning curve into alchemy over the past 3 years or so, I now understand the logic behind a pelican, but still think they are a bit of a novelty. :) It just seems a bit fragile and 'awkward'.

Although not tested, I think a well designed 'hood' sitting on top would work. Like an an alembic that has NO external spout OR any internal capture trough around the bottom. In a similar sense to two flasks sitting one on top of each other with the bottom one having a female receiver joint and the top one having the male joint.

I think Solx played with something like this. I have also see this (what Solx did) on the internet in some guy's suite. An upturned (clear glass) vase or even a light shade. As long as it fit inside the bottom receiver flask, it would work OK.

I think those would allow for good circulation.

Just my thoughts.

Flightoffire
Flightoffire

Postby Krisztian » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:40 am

Flightoffire wrote:
    Observe Nature; Copy Nature; Accelerate Nature.

Love the quote!

Flightoffire wrote:I agree that we need to 'model nature'. Think of an egg or a womb or a nest. All spherical 'vessels' for 'nurturing life'. Also the spherical planet. Moisture evaporates up then condenses, then rains down., over and over and over. In the process, organic matter (plants, animals and dirt/soil) go through a myriad of changes, all being perfected over time.

I also suggest instead of pelican glassware a shape that's more like a teardrop. But the space inside of this vessel will need to be 3/4. Prima materia circa. 1/4. Then there's sufficient space for expansion and disintegration. American glassware name 'Recovery flask' fits this description well. In Mutus Liber you'll see good image of this flask type, but even better in Splendor Solis! Can someone insert an image?

What pelican glassware has as an advantage is the two sidearms that connect the two spheres. Perfect circulating vessel. I am currently making Paracelsus' Wine Magistery in my pelican and it's majestic how peacefully and powerfully the liquid circulates.
Labore et coeli favore / Nosce te ipsum / Sapientia Veterum / Aurum nostrum non est aurum vulgi
Krisztian

Postby Krisztian » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:44 am

MShoAT wrote:@Krisztian, correct me if I'm wrong please

Thanks friend, what you quoted is true from my experience.

I am only suggesting. One must do, what one is compelled to do.
Krisztian

Postby Flightoffire » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:55 am

Here is another great quote that helped me a lot (my emphasis).
BELOVED and pious reader, above all, ye who are Sons of Wisdom and the Doctrine, some years ago Almighty God, in answer to my daily prayers, opened my eyes by the light of His Holy Spirit (Who was sent us through Christ by the Father, and from Whom we receive all wisdom), and enabled me to discover the True Centre in the Centre of the Triangle and the one true Matter of the precious Philosopher's Stone, so that I now hold it in my hands; but it took me five years longer to discover how the blood of the Red Lion and the glue of the White Eagle were to be extracted, and how these were to be mixed in their natural proportions, enclosed, sealed, and committed to the secret fire. Nor did I even then find the arcanum without constant and untiring application. I have, indeed, studied the writings, parables, and various figures of the philosophers with singular industry, and laboured hard to solve their manifold wonderful enigmas, most of which are simply the vain products of their imaginations.

It was long before experience taught me that all their obscure verbiage and high pretensions are mere folly and empty phantasms (as is amply testified by our leading Sages). Then I understood that their preparations (of which we read in Geber, Albertus Magnus, and others), their purgations, sublimations, cementations, distillations, rectifications, circulations, putrefactions, conjunctions, solutions, coagulations, calcinations, incinerations, mortifications, revivifications, &c., as also their tripods, athanors (furnaces), reverberatory alembics, excrements of horses, ashes, sand, stills, pelican-violas, retorts, fixatories, &c., are mere plausible impostures and frauds. This must be apparent to any one who considers the truth of the matter. Nature, who, in her noble simplicity, delights in her own proper substance, knows nothing of these futilities. Hence Theophrastus (Sec. Mag. de Phil. Lap.) rightly says of those who seek the substance of the Stone in wine, imperfect bodies, blood, bismuth, mercury, sulphur, wine, dung, orpiment, and in plants, as chelidonia, hyssop, ivy, &c., that they are full of lies and thievery—deceiving the credulous, milking their purses dry, and, as to the rest, following their own foolish fancies, that are quite unable to realise the requirements of Nature. (Tell me now who will help me with the minerals of the earth, distillations of water, &c.?) Some of them take new wine and urine for the purpose of changing them into metals. To hear them talk, you might suppose all that is sold at the apothecaries to be good for metals. Thou foolish man, dost thou not perceive that none of these things have anything to do with them?

Source: The Golden Age Restored.
Flightoffire

Return to Introductions