Honoured to be here with you guys

Give yourself an introduction here and get to know the other members.

Honoured to be here with you guys

Postby 4corners » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:13 am

Hey whats up, have been studying alchemy since I was 13, 14. I am now about 25. I found the book of aquarius about 2-3 years ago. It was sitting in the back of my mind but I guess universe has it, I wasnt even ready nor would the space be available to begin with. I've come 360, and now it is time began again the great work.
I have a question or advice that I havent found a definite answer to.

1. What heating source should I use?
I heard people saying fuck a hotplate/mantle and just use a water bath.
Im setting my self up now and want to start purchasing the equipment, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thank you in advance!
Travel well!
4corners

Re: Honoured to be here with you guys

Postby MShoAT » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:58 pm

4corners wrote:What heating source should I use?

I have found that a heating mantle works best but with heating mantles you are restricted to use a heating mantle that matches your boiling flask.

If you don't want to be dependant on the size or shape of your boiling flasks then a heating bath is a better option. The type of heating bath highly depends on the temperature range you want to use.

For low temperatures the best choice, because of accuracy, is a waterbath. This however does not go higher then 95°C without evaporating the water. (Best practice is to pour a thin layer of oil on the water to prevent the water from evaporating).
For higher temperatures the best choice would be an oil bath or sand bath.

Your choice will most likely be dependant on your budget though :) Putting a bowl of water on a kitchen stove works as well.
MShoAT
Site Admin

Postby MShoAT » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:56 pm

4corners wrote:I found the book of aquarius about 2-3 years ago.

Before you engage in experimenting on the book of aquarius method I suggest to read through the forum first. The best advice would probably be to read the texts of the sages instead.
MShoAT
Site Admin

Postby Schmeldvich » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:23 pm

Welcome, 4corners! Cool name!

I'm not sure if you were implying that you were following the BoA method or just saying that it was one of your first reference points. I back what MShoAT warning: read through our forum and other message boards online and you will see that you will not accomplish what you are setting out to accomplish if you go down the BoA path.

Read some genuine alchemical treatises yourself, see what the Ancients themselves said. Here's a link to download some good texts: http://www.mediafire.com/download/d130r ... -25-15.zip
Schmeldvich

Postby Flightoffire » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:43 am

4corners wrote:What heating source should I use?

Hmmm, you have apparently been "studying alchemy" for over 10 years but have not figured out what sort of heating source to use? ;)

A water bath can work for low temperatures but the water will evaporate off. Yes, a small layer of oil will stop the evaporation, but use mineral oil (paraffin) otherwise, organic oils will go rancid and give of nasty fumes. Also, you will need a clamp of some sort to hold you glassware in place.

I personally use a sand bath. The sand acts as a 'solid' foundation that my glassware can sit more stably in (no need for clamps, but helpful). A sand bath can also go to higher temperatures (above water boiling point) if needed depending on our experiment (which we do not need to do).

FOF
Be Still, and Know Who You Are.
Flightoffire

Postby common simple man » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:58 am

flight of fire started useing the sand bath after is mistakes the sand bath is perfect. well said fof
common simple man

Return to Introductions