Backups

All information about the forum can be found here.

Backups

Postby Schmeldvich » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:06 pm

Is anyone keeping an active backup of this site?

Does anyone download a backup periodically?
Schmeldvich

Re: Backups

Postby Solx » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:26 pm

good point. i have not been.

really there is far more practical knowledge in here to risk being lost then an old alchemist book.
Solx

Postby MShoAT » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestion,

I'll look into this. I think it's fairly easy to backup the sql. This should allow me to use the same backup for a new board if the need ever occured.

I'll get back at you with more information.
MShoAT
Site Admin

Postby MShoAT » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:14 pm

Backed up the forum.

Will do this once a week. Should still find a way to backup the uploads (pictures) as well.
MShoAT
Site Admin

Postby SolarSeeker » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:18 am

This is why I commit most of my alchemy research to memory. It's no where near as accurate as a computer but it can put the pieces of the alchemy puzzle together like no computer ever will.

Knowledge, even vast knowledge like Google is not enough in alchemy. You have to really understand what it is,what it does, how it works, and above all what it doesn't do.

The really terrible thing is that a single repeated mistake,can ruin volumes of knowledge and mean the difference between a transmutation and great medicine or a useless poison.
SolarSeeker

Postby Flightoffire » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:49 pm

SolarSeeker wrote:This is why I commit most of my alchemy research to memory. It's no where near as accurate as a computer.

Didn't stop thousands of accomplished alchemists spanning millennia. Computes are overrated I say! :)
(Says he who spends hours a week on them. :geek: )

The really terrible thing is that a single repeated mistake, can ruin volumes of knowledge and mean the difference between a transmutation and great medicine or a useless poison.

Indeed it can, but, sometimes that is what it takes. Eventually we finally 'hear' our intuition, that was regularly guiding us and eventually 'see' what was there in front of our eyes all along. Then we start to see proper results. After that, it is only a matter of fine tuning. Still takes repeated experiments.

It's that whole 3 steps forward, 2 steps backward thing, or like a labyrinth perhaps. Eventually we get there.

FOF
Be Still, and Know Who You Are.
Flightoffire

Postby Flightoffire » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:52 pm

Back on topic though, I used the Open Source HTTRACK program to suck down the entire BOA web site before it went kaput.

http://www.httrack.com

Pay attention to the configuration settings or you will pull down the entire internet!! Otherwise, it's a great utility for local archives of (smaller) web sites. It will use a fair bit of download depending on the site contents.

FOF
Be Still, and Know Who You Are.
Flightoffire

Postby crestind » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:01 am

That httrack application is great. Used to use it all the time back in the day. A friend recently showed me a cool way to backup individual pages by saving as a .mht file. It's somewhat nicer than the save page as options because everything is contained in one file.
Feel free to PM me. Always interested in networking. Don't be shy, dearie.
http://i.imgur.com/RoTaXgG.jpg
crestind

Postby Schmeldvich » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:03 pm

MShoAT wrote:Backed up the forum.

Will do this once a week. Should still find a way to backup the uploads (pictures) as well.

Friendly reminder to continue backing up this forum regularly! There have been some excellent and insightful posts here the past couple of weeks!
Schmeldvich

Postby Schmeldvich » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:51 pm

Flightoffire wrote:Back on topic though, I used the Open Source HTTRACK program to suck down the entire BOA web site before it went kaput.

http://www.httrack.com

Pay attention to the configuration settings or you will pull down the entire internet!! Otherwise, it's a great utility for local archives of (smaller) web sites. It will use a fair bit of download depending on the site contents.

FOF

Good program, thanks!
Schmeldvich

Return to About this forum